Thursday, March 10, 2011

Gary Oldman on 'Red Riding Hood,' Torture and Working With Catherine Hardwicke

Of course. Tell me a bit about working with Catherine Hardwicke, because I had heard that she was part of the reason you decided to do this project.
Yeah, I very much liked her movie, 'Thirteen,' and you know, I read the script and I liked the script, but it was like, well, who is this aimed for? Who is the audience for this? Because it wasn't R-rated. It only went so far. And they said, 'Oh, it's a Catherine Hardwicke film.' And I went, 'Oh yeah, I get it. I get it.' She's had a huge, huge success with ... she understands that genre. I don't know if it's because ... I don't know how she does it, but she just gets it.

This fairy tale scared the pants off of me as a kid. Which one scared you as a kid?
Hmm. I remember 'Little Red Riding Hood.' I don't remember when I first heard 'Little Red Riding Hood.' I was that young. I can't remember. It's just always been there. I've just always known the story of it. I liked 'The Three Little Pigs.'

There was a nod to that in the film.
Yes, there is. At the festival. It always fascinated me. 'I'll huff and I'll puff and I'll blow your house down.'

Read the entire interview here

No comments:

Post a Comment